- How long have you been doing CrossFit? If not with CFWP, how/where did you start? I started CrossFit the beginning of November 2013 (7 months)
- What got you involved with CrossFit? Hearing Loren Sjoquist and his boss talk about how great the workouts are.
- What were your main concerns when you first started? Making sure I didn’t get hurt. It's been 25+ years since I've done anything with weights.
- Why have you continued to do CrossFit? I'm impressed with my progression and how much better I feel physically. CFWP has been a great avenue to de-stress after a long day at work.
- What do you think about the CFWP community? The CFWP community is encouraging and supportive no matter where you are physically when starting Crossfit. CFWP members and coaches have gone out of their way to help and answer question as I’ve progressed. After working out on my own over the years, it’s inspiring to come to the gym and experience this type camaraderie.
- Have CrossFit and CFWP met the expectations you had before you started? Yes, it has gone beyond my expectations. The coaches are focused on safety, form and technique before encouraging members to progress to heavier weight and level.
- What is your favorite part about CrossFit/CFWP? My favorite part is when you finally get the technique, proper form and / or strength to do something like hand stand pushups or overhead squat cleans. Being 48 and able to do things like this is awesome.
- How has CrossFit impacted your life? I love how my shoulders and my legs are stronger. Most of all I'm not letting my age stop me from doing things.
- Favorite movement? Wall balls
- Least favorite movement? I have to say double unders!
- What advice would you give to anyone interested in starting CrossFit or just beginning? Take it slowly. Remember you are only competing against yourself / doing this for yourself. You'll get the moves soon enough, enjoy the moments when you see progress (share this with the CFWP peers they are incredibly supportive) and most of all just have FUN.
- What are some personal goals you are looking to achieve in the coming months? Some of my goals are to do 10 double-unders in a row, 10 strict pull-ups in a row and perfecting my kipping form.
- Do you have a special moment/memory from your time CrossFitting you’d like to share? (something you’re proud of accomplishing, were inspired by, etc). When I started (November 2013) I could barely do one pull-up and hardly hold a hand stand with my feet on the wall. Recently, in a WOD, I did 41 pull-ups (not all at once). This is a huge accomplishment for me because I could hardly do one pull-up for years even when I thought I was in ok shape. Secondly, I can now hold a handstand with feet against the wall and starting to be able to do handstand pushups.
- Finally, if you could design a WOD for Ethan to do, what would it be?
12 minutes total time - with 1 minute for plank
12 wall balls
200 meter run with balls
12 Russian twists
12 box jumps
Last minute end in a plank