Featured Athlete - Rhonda W
1. How long have you been doing CrossFit? If not with CFWP, how/where did you start?
I started CrossFit at CrossFit Wash Park in December 2012.
2. What got you involved with CrossFit?
To be honest, I was getting married in June 2013 and needed something to get me in shape for the big day. Also, I was looking for something challenging but fun and CrossFit seemed to be exactly that.
3. What were your main concerns when you first started?
My main concerns was having a crazy competitive environment with people throwing up everywhere...you hear some things about CrossFit!
4. Why have you continued to do CrossFit?
I love it! It is a great challenge to show up, get through a work out and feel proud of the accomplishment. It is also fun to keep improving and to look back at where you started.
5. What do you think about the CFWP community?
It is truly awesome. Everyone is so supportive and always cheering for everyone. It is like doing a workout with your friends.
6. Have CrossFit and CFWP met the expectations you had before you started?
Absolutely. I feel better than I have in a long time (except when I can't move the day after a workout...but that gets better eventually!).
7. What is your favorite part about CrossFit/CFWP?
My favorite part is showing up and having fun with all different fitness levels. There is always someone to watch to encourage and push you to the next level.
8. How has CrossFit impacted your life?
CFWP has impacted my life by allowing me to do things I never thought possible (e.g., box jumps!).
9. Favorite movement?
Deadlifts, of course! I also like grasshoppers, for some strange reason, and Turkish get-ups.
10. Least favorite movement?
Overhead squats but I really, really, really dislike burpees.
11. What advice would you give to anyone interested in starting crossfit or just beginning?
Just try it and do the best you can. Unless you are training for competitions, it doesn't matter as long as you finish the workout. The improvements will come just by showing up.
12. What are some personal goals you are looking to achieve in the coming months?
I must, will, must do a pullup!!!
13. Do you have a special moment/memory from your time CrossFitting you’d like to share? (something you’re proud of accomplishing, were inspired by, etc).
Doing a 24" box jump was awesome considering I had a huge mental block and could barely do one on the baby box. Also, I loved hitting the 200 lb. mark on the deadlift.
14. Finally, if you could design a WOD for Ethan to do, what would it be?
Ring rows (10)
Hang power cleans (20)
Overhead Squats (30) (mostly because I dislike them so much)
Nothing (40 seconds) (since I couldn't come up with a move that started with N, let's take a break!).
Air Squats (60)