Featured Athlete - Heather T
1. How long have you been doing CrossFit? If not with CFWP, how/where did you start?
I started doing crossfit at cfwp in early December of 2012.
2. What got you involved with CrossFit?
I was finally motivated to get in shape and become stronger and fitter. I ride horses and wanted to have better stamina and strength for my jumping (over fences) rounds. Also, my little sister had been doing crossfit at cfne and was looking & feeling fabulous, so I decided to give it a try. I even talked my husband, James, into doing the "elements" classes with me.
3. What were your main concerns when you first started?
I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to overcome prior (left knee and low back) injuries - mainly stiffness. I just took it easy at first and listened to my body and communicated those same concerns with the coaches who helped me with stretching and mobility.
4. Why have you continued to do CrossFit?
I have continued to do crossfit because of the friends I have made. People are really supportive at cfwp and I never feel alone in what I am trying to achieve. The group and "team" mentality has been amazing!
5. What do you think about the CFWP community?
I feel like the cfwp community is awesome. That is why I keep coming back to cfwp. Having traveled to other boxes in Maine, Massachusetts, Florida, Idaho, & Washington states, I really can say that cfwp is the friendliest bunch. Besides, the community is really a fabulous network as well for almost anything I might need help with in life.
6. Have CrossFit and CFWP met the expectations you had before you started?
7. What is your favorite part about CrossFit/CFWP?
I love it when the wod or any wod for that matter - is over, haha..
8. How has CrossFit impacted your life?
I am now more confident and self assured in the horse show ring and in life. I no longer feel week or tired like I used to and my energy level is far better throughout the day.
9. Favorite movement?
Pull ups - because now I can actually do them.
10. Least favorite movement?
11. What advice would you give to anyone interested in starting crossfit or just beginning?
I would advise someone who is interested or new to just keep coming back. Stick to-it-ive-ness is the best thing. Besides we are all here to help the new folks too! I would remind them that we were all once new, and have been in their shoes.
12. What are some personal goals you are looking to achieve in the coming months?
I would love to sometime get a higher than 24" box jump (I used to be terrified of them) and ring dips would be another thing I would like to accomplish as well. ok one more thing I would like to accomplish is linking double unders.
13. Do you have a special moment/memory from your time CrossFitting you’d like to share? (something you’re proud of accomplishing, were inspired by, etc).
I think the day I got my first pull up was probably the best day ever! I was amazed to see my head and face rise above that bar.
14. Finally, if you could design a WOD for Ethan to do, what would it be?
Hmm - a wod for Ethan? 20 min amrap of 800m run, 40 burpees, 30 wallballs, 20 weighted lunges, 10 30" box jumps.