Featured Athlete - Kevin S
1. How long have you been doing CrossFit? If not with CFWP, how/where did you start?
Started element at CFWP in late May of 2013.
2. What got you involved with CrossFit?
I started the Paleo diet on a whim in February of last year and kept coming across CrossFit as I researched how to make tasty Paleo meals. They seemed to be complimentary according to many of the bloggers responsible for my feedings so I figured why not give it a shot.
3. What were your main concerns when you first started?
Definitely wanted to be safe. I’ve worked out for most of my adult life but very little involved Oly lifts. From the get go it was clear this was an emphasis for the coaches too and I immediately felt confident I’d be fine.
4. Why have you continued to do CrossFit?
It’s a blast, it’s addicting, it’s a great community, it’s always challenging, and it get results. I spent most of my time prior to CrossFit working out by myself or with a trainer and they don’t compare. The group dynamic is extremely motivating and while its casually competitive, the emphasis is on personal improvements more than anything.
5. What do you think about the CFWP community?
I love it. My exposure is limited to the 6AM crew but everyone from all the coaches to the other members have been incredible. It’s a very happy (even at 6AM and even when it’s -10 degrees outside), motivated group, hard to beat that!
6. Have CrossFit and CFWP met the expectations you had before you started?
Far exceeded them. My personal results have been great and the community is the cherry on top.
7. What is your favorite part about CrossFit/CFWP?
I look forward to working out! I love the challenge to improve every day and I love the commaderie at CFWP.
8. How has CrossFit impacted your life?
It’s been great, I’m in the best shape of my life
9. Favorite movement?
Hmmm, squat snatch, MU, Push Jerk
10. Least favorite movement?
Double/Unders. I’ve never tried to do something so many times and failed so epically. They’re the reason I stopped looking at the website before WOD’s (I may have skipped a WOD with DU in them once or twice, oops)…and sled push (I was over-served the night before!) and KB swing.
11. What advice would you give to anyone interested in starting crossfit or just beginning?
Absolutely start! The nerves of doing something new and/or foreign dissipate quickly once you are in the gym with everyone.
12. What are some personal goals you are looking to achieve in the coming months?
Strict MU would be pretty sweet but mastering DU’s would be number one, tired of those being a disaster.
13. Do you have a special moment/memory from your time CrossFitting you’d like to share? (something you’re proud of accomplishing, were inspired by, etc).
First MU was cool, more mental than physical. The 12 days of Christmas with my sister and the Clear your Plate WOD’s over the holidays were brutally memorable. It’s always fun to see the improvements I’ve made when we have a WOD I’ve done before. It helps me realize how far I have come and motivates me to keep working hard so I beat it the next time it comes around!
14. Finally, if you could design a WOD for Ethan to do, what would it be?
Ha, Ethan can do everything well so I’ll just go with things I have a strong dislike for…see above!
200 Double unders
B Swings #70/53#
Sled Push 225#/155# (shot in the dark with weight) after each round
Then 200 Double unders